The Wipeout-Cancer Sports Day bike ride will be a day full of fun and excitement where riders of all levels join forces and support cancer organizations focused on patient care.
The Sports Day bike event is a ride, not a race. Whether you are an occasional rider or an experienced cyclist, there is a route just for you. SAG support and aid stations will be available (exact aid station locations TBD). Helmets are required for all riders.
Date: July 27, 2013
Start times: (Ride leaders will start at the time posted. Arrive 15-30 minutes early for check-in):
- Challenge Ride – 7:30 am (ride duration: 4-6 hours)
- Fitness Ride – 9:00 am (ride duration: 2-3 hours)
- Family Ride* – 10:00 am (ride duration: 1-2 hours)
*Kids may participate in the family ride and obstacle course. Please indicate in the comments field that they are participating in both so we can adjust schedules accordingly. Kids not riding their own bikes (i.e. riding in a trailer or bike seat with their parents bike) are not counted as a paid rider.
Location: Campbell Community Center, Campbell, CA
Three rides to choose from (maps posted at the bottom of this page):
- Family (up to 13 miles) – The family fun route is 13 flat miles on the Los Gatos Creek Trail. The route is kid-friendly and suitable for beginner and intermediate cyclists (cruisers, mountain bikes, road bikes, hybrids, bikes with trailers are all welcome). Since the route is “out-and-back”, riders can opt to turn back at any time to accommodate riders preferences and time. There is no time limit, but you’ll want to get back in time to enjoy the provided lunch at the finish line! View detailed map or Download the Route Sheet
- Fitness (32 miles) – The fitness route is 32 miles with 1500 ft. elevation. The route is suitable for intermediate cyclists who are comfortable with some climbing and can handle themselves on city streets (mixed with car traffic). The fitness route heads west from the Campbell Community Center through Cupertino for a flat first 8 miles, past De Anza College. A left turn on Foothill brings us up a 4 mile gradual climb up Stevens Canyon Rd and Mt. Eden Rd. Turn right onto Pierce Rd for a short and steep climb, then the fitness route will split off from the challenge route with mostly downhill/flat roads through Saratoga looping back to the Campbell Community Center. View detailed map or Download the Route Sheet
- Challenge (60 miles) – The challenge route is 60 miles with 5000 ft of elevation. This route is for experienced road cyclists who are comfortable with significant climbing. The route starts from Campbell Community Center, heading west to Stevens Canyon. The challenge route splits from the fitness route at Pierce Rd, then heads up Hwy 9 for a challenging CAT 1 climb (7 miles at 5.6% avg grade). At the Skyline Blvd summit, we head north on Skyline/Hwy 35, followed by a thrilling descent on Page Mill to Foothill. We climb back up Stevens Canyon and Mt Eden a second time, then it’s all downhill back to Campbell through Saratoga to enjoy lunch back at the Campbell Community Center! View detailed map or Download the Route Sheet
- Family: $35 Parent, $30 Child*
- Fitness Ride: $40 per rider
- Challenge: $45 per rider
All participants will receive a Wipeout Cancer Sports Day t-shirt and lunch.
*For kids who would like to participate in both the Family Fun Bike Ride and Kids Obstacle Course we will offer a $10 refund at check-in or 2 raffle tickets in lieu of the additional t-shirt & lunch. Please indicate in the comments field that they are participating in both so we can adjust schedules accordingly.
Registration deadline is July 12, 2013 to guarantee t-shirt size. For additional information, contact email@example.com.
Reminders & Tips:
Bring helmet, gloves, shoes, extra tubes, water bottles (2 bottles for Challenge/Fitness), sunglasses, food/bars, bike computer/GPS
Complimentary bike valet/parking will be available during lunch.
Mechanics will be available on-site for bike adjustments. Come early to get your bike tuned up!
The posted routes are tentative and subject to change (routes last revised 7/25/2013). The general route, mileage, and elevation will remain similar to the routes currently posted. Changes will be communicated in advance. All riders must obey local traffic laws.
Family (up to 13 miles)
View Family Fun Route details on ridewithgps.com
Fitness (32 miles)
View Fitness Route details on ridewithgps.com
Challenge (60 miles)
View Challenge Route details on ridewithgps.com
*Please note: The 60 mile Challenge route elevation is approximately 5000 ft of climbing (not 6000 ft, as indicated by the ridewithgps.com map above)